Senior Life National Director H. Hershel Johns passed away July 23nd, 2018. Hershel was an incredible man that devoted much of his time and resources to the HBA and will be greatly missed. A memorial service will be held to honor Hershel at Adams Funeral Home on August 11th starting at 2:00pm.
Below is a little history about Hershel’s home building career and involvement with the HBA of Greater Springfield:
- Born in Sparta, Missouri
- Began his building career in the Ozarks in 1959
- Joined HBA in 1967
- Joined HBA Board of Directors in 1975. Served as a Life Board Member
- Joined NAHB Board of Directors in 1977
- Attended national board meetings representing the HBA of Greater Springfield
- Built more than 400 homes
- Developed first subdivision in 1962. Developed total of 10 subdivisions
- Received the Lifetime Achievement in Construction Award from the Salute to Design and Construction Council in November of 2017
- Was the first builder to take sanitary sewer outside of city limits for a subdivision
- Really enjoyed going to schools on career day to discuss career opportunities in construction
- He has always felt there is a real value to the HBA and would like to see everyone in the trade support the HBA.
- Participated in the “fun” events with the HBA – i.e. Christmas Party, Belt Sander Races, etc
Please keep Hershel’s family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.
Learn more about Hershel in the Christian County Headliner (click here)